Anniversary!

Four years ago today, Vic and I went on our very first date. And what an eventful date it was! First I got lost trying to find his apartment, since it was in a part of town I had never been to before. And he might have left out a freeway in the directions he gave me. But finally, after I almost ended up at Magic Mountain, after a phone call to a friend for help, he got me on my way to his street in Silverlake. He showed me where to park and we walked to the Metro station at Santa Monica and Vermont, and I took my first subway ride with him to Universal Citywalk. I had never been to Citywalk before; the last time I had been to Universal Studios was at age 16 on a family vacation, and Citywalk didn't exist. We ate at Panda Express and walked around, browsing the shops. As much as you can browse with wall to wall people that is. But it was a really fun time, and I'm pretty sure we both knew we were going to be together, even so early on. We waited by the fountain for the tram to take us back down the hill and he kissed me there at the edge of the water. Romantic, right?


Well everything was great until I suggested we drive to the beach. We took my car, because his was in the shop. A straight shot down Santa Monica all the way to the ocean, what could possibly go wrong? Well the first mistake: driving so far on a Saturday night with all the crazies out. Halfway to our destination, in the city of Santa Monica, with 'Starlight' by Muse on the stereo, some guy wasn't paying attention and rear ended us. Insert images of me freaking out right here. I saw Vic's hat fly off his head as he was thrown forward. The sound of shattering glass from the rear window. Our drinks flew all over the front seats. My little civic that I had for eight years was completely totaled. I was really upset and shaking and in tears, but Vic handled the situation very well. After we talked to the police, he called a friend to come and pick us up, so we weren't stranded at such a late hour so far from home. Since I now had no car, Vic let me sleep at his place, and then my roommate's daughter came and picked me up the next day. I remember feeling so exhausted from the accident, but I was also really happy about our date prior to all the chaos. Even though the evening ended on a bad note, it was the beginning of something special. And we have an unforgettable 'how we met' story to tell Koji when he grows up. Happy Anniversary Victor, my Salvadoran sweetheart!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A long overdue update!